Friday, January 06, 2006

The Apology Of a Man

The Apology Of a Man


I see you sitting there . . . so together.
But inside, the tears keep falling.
I see the anger, the disappointment, the pain.
Inside I hear a voice that's calling.

At night's end . . . you pretend.
It doesn't matter . . .
There's no one waiting at home.
Well, I know that it matters,
Because I too am alone.

Now for every man that ever hurt you,
For every tear that fell from your eyes,
Here and now . . . I'd like to apologize.

I'm sorry for all the many nights
You spent staring at the phone.
I'm sorry for the birthdays, the holidays,
Just the days you spent alone.

I'm sorry for the other women
Who made you feel less than the queen that you are.
I'm sorry that he reached for the moon.
When in his hand he held a star.

I'm sorry for the broken promises, the broken ribs
Blackened eyes behind tinted shades.
I'm sorry for the fear, the risk
The possibility of AIDS.

I'm sorry for words so cruel,
Words that tore the very life from you.
But rejoice and weep not my child,
For there were those who spat upon Jesus too.

I'm sorry the only time you heard I love you,
Was when he found himself between your thighs.
Here and now . . . with my soul . . . with my heart
To you . . . I apologize.

I'm sorry he never listened
To what you had to say.
I'm sorry when you needed him most,
He just turned and walked away.

I'm sorry for the first time you said,
"I'll never love again."
I'm sorry for the first time you said,
"God forgive me, but I hate all men."

I'm sorry for the fist that says,
"I only beat you because I care."
I'm sorry for all the times you needed to be held,
But he was never there.

I'm sorry for the scars
No medicine can heal.
I'm sorry for the near fatal overdose of sleeping pills.

I'm sorry he wasn't to his children,
The father he should have been.
I'm sorry he missed the opportunity
To be parent, as well as friend.

I'm sorry for all the times he swore truth,
But you knew every word he said was lies.
Let this be a moment of healing
Here and now . . . To You . . . I apologize.

I'm sorry he rejected your child.
Never picked him up when he fell.
I can only say, "If I'm willing to love the woman,
Then I'm willing to love her child as well."

I'm sorry for the girlfriends,
The wife he forgot to mention.
He knew from the start;
He'd break your heart.
Though he said it was never his intention.

I'm sorry he used your body.
Seeing you as nothing more than a notch on his belt.
I'm sorry that no answer came
When your heart cried out for help.

But most of all . . .
I'm sorry he took you for granted.
Never realizing
The Strength . . . The Beauty . . . The Glory
The Wonder . . . That Is You.

But to you I say, "Don't give up.
God has something special in store."
To you I say, "Love is around the next corner,
Behind the next door.
And this time, God will give you . . .
Just what your heart is asking for."

Lord knows, we all make mistakes.
We're only human after all.
But don't be so angry
That you turn your back when true love calls.
So just remember. Not every man is the same.
So not every man should bear the blame,
For the deeds of a misguided few.
There are men out there
Who are willing to love YOU . . . JUST . . . FOR . . . YOU.

Also remember,
Yours is not the only broken heart.
Mine has been broken too.
I just hope you can forgive the MAN in me.
Like I forgave the WOMAN in you.

Let the healing begin...


Alpha Omega McCoo
Taken from "A Time of Healing"
(C) 2001 1st edition

No comments:

Post a Comment